Alphabeer is the only event that teaches craft beer lovers about 26 beers - one for every letter of the alphabet. It's a three-hour tour of hops and barley and lagers and ales, and everything is crafted by masters who are passionate about their beers. Breweries from the Great Lakes area, including Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana and of course, Chicagoland, are being highlighted.
Saturday, April 20th, 12pm - 3pm
John Barleycorn 149 W. Kinzie St. in River North
Special guests will be joining the event to talk about their beers, including representatives from 5 Rabbit, Brewery Vivant, Founders, Goose Island Brewing Company, and New Holland. Chef Cleetus Friedman of Fountainhead is also scheduled to talk about Loudmouth Soup, the beer he produced in collaboration with Greenbush. Other guests on the roster are Chicago Beer Geeks and the Chicago chapter of Barley's Angels, a beer club for women.
Attendees won't just be tasting the beers. Chef Jill Houk is returning as the emcee, or AlphaBeerMaster, for the fourth time. She'll educate guests on the ABV, the IBU and what to eat with each brew. Notes on each beer are broadcast on multiple screens so everyone can learn their A-BEER-C's.
- A - All Day IPA, Founders
- B - Breakfast Stout, Founders
- C - Curmudgeon, Founders
- D - Dynamo, Metropolitan
- E - Eugene Porter, Revolution
- F - Farm House Ale, Brewery Vivant
- G - Goose Island, Pepe Nero
- H - Huitzi, 5 Rabbit
- I - Iron Works Alt, Metropolitan
- J - Jinx Proof, Three Floyds
- K - Kalamazoo Stout, Bell's
- L - Loudmouth Soup, Greenbush & Cleetus Friedman
- M - Monkey King, New Holland
- N - New Grist, Lakefront
- O - Over Ale, Half Acre
- P - Paleooza, New Holland
- Q - Querkus Smoked Oaked Porter
- R - Revolution, A Little Crazy
- S - Sky High Rye, Arcadia
- T - Tiny Dancer, Goose Island
- U - Unfiltered Wheat Beer, Boulevard
- V - Hammer, Bullet, Vice; Half Acre
- W - White Chapel Wit, Haymarket
- X - "X" FIDY, Oskar Blues
- Y - GFY Stout, Spiteful Brewing
- Z - Zaison, Brewery Vivant
Tickets are $45 and can be purchased here
Buy your ticket in advance and save $5. Tickets are $50 at the door.
AlphaBeer is hosted by Theresa Carter, founder and publisher of The Local Tourist,
LLC. The first event was in 2009 and it was inspired Ms. Carter's mother, who each
week would drink a beer from a different letter of the alphabet with fellow commuters
on their Friday night train ride. Since then AlphaBeer has appeared at multiple venues
in Chicago and has featured over 200 different beers.
TheLocalTourist.com, or TLT as it's affectionately known, is Chicago’s one-stop-spot for
things to do, events, restaurants, nightlife, news, reviews, photos and more. It’s a business
directory, an events calendar, and a multi-contributor magazine filled with news from the
TLTeam of city experts. Its mission is to help locals experience the fascination of a tourist,
and tourists feel the comfort of the local.