If you're a homebrewer and dog lover we have the perfect solution for all of those left over spent grains after a brew day. Simply cool your grains and use to make spent grain dog biscuits that your pup will go nuts over. We stored our spent grain in gallon ziplock bags and froze until ready to bake.
4 cups spent grain
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup all natural peanut butter
cookie cutters (we love the dog bone shape)
(optional glaze – MUST be applied before baking)
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp water
liquid food coloring
yield: approx 4 dozen cookies
1. Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
2. Flour surface, roll out cookie dough to 1/4 inch and then cut a shape out of them. (Due to the texture it is hard to get a clean cut and some gentle shaping was necessary).
3. If using colored cookie glaze – whisk together ingredients (add color as desired), paint onto cookies with a pastry brush.
4. Put the cookies into a pre-heated oven of 350 degrees.
5. Cook for about 45 mins.
6. Turn off oven for 30 mins and then heat again for 2 hours at 225.
7. Turn off oven and let sit in oven overnight or for 2-3 hours. This helps the cookies get completely dried-out so they don’t get moldy. If the cookies don’t have a hearty snap to them they are not dry enough.
8. Store up to 2 weeks in airtight tupperware, ziplocks or package in cellophane candy bags or with bakers twine as gifts for your dog-loving friends.
Just a few satisfied tasters: